Here’s another Amazon offer where customers are either getting $20 off $40 or $50 off $100 when they use American Express Membership Rewards points as part of their purchase. This is similar to the other Amazon/AMEX deal, but you can both!
How do I check if I’m targeted?
Direct Link [Amazon]
The link will bring you to the activation screen. The offer WON’T show up until you add an American Express card as a payment option and link your AMEX rewards account to Amazon. If you haven’t done this, go to the next sections in this post where I’ll show you how.
There’s actually two slightly different offers people are getting:
- Get $20 off with a minimum purchase of $40 with 1 AMEX point
- Get $50 off with a minimum purchase of $100 with 1 AMEX point
Both are giving you 50% off your purchase. I prefer the larger one since I buy from Amazon all the time, but others may find the lower $40 minimum better for smaller purchases.
How do I add an American Express credit card as a payment option?
Direct Link to Add Credit Card [Amazon]
You can also go there manually to add a credit card by going to “Your Account”, then “Payment options”, and then entering your credit card information:
Direct Link to Linking [Amazon]
When you are going through this process, be sure to select no when Amazon asks you if you want to use your points as the default payment for future purchases.
I would never recommend using AMEX MR points at Amazon since the redemption value is poor, but here you only have to use 1 AMEX point to get the 20% discount.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need Amazon Prime to do this deal?
No, this deal is possible with any Amazon account.
Why isn’t the deal working for me?
- Make sure you’ve activated the offer
- Double-check that you have an AMEX card as a payment option and that you’ve linked your AMEX Membership Rewards account
- Make sure that you’re applying at least 1 AMEX point at checkout
If you are linking your AMEX Membership Rewards account to Amazon for the first time then it can take a few days before you may become “eligible” for the promotion
Will it work if I did a similar deal in the past?
Yes, but sometimes you need to “clear” your account from the past deal. Try removing and re-adding your AMEX as a payment option to see if this will prompt “eligibility”.
If that still doesn’t work, try the link again in a couple of days to see if this works.
These offers can open up over time so you can always check later if it does not work out this time around (it took me 6 days from re-adding my AMEX card)
What other details do I need to know?
Here’s the terms and conditions:
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 3/31/2020, or (b) the time at which 200,000 customers have redeemed the offer. The promotion button will expire concurrently.
- Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of at least $50 of eligible products, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if they are “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $20 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled card per one account
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your original order. If any of the items in your original order are subsequently returned, your refund will equal the original price of the product, less the proportional amount of the discount. The total discount on the unreturned amount of your original order will then be less than $20.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
The Bottom Line
I’ve written in the past on similar Amazon deals. If you’re not targeted for this one, try these:
- Get $20 Off $50 At Amazon Using Only 1 Discover Point
- Get 20% Off At Amazon Using Just 1 AMEX Point
- Send $50 By Text And Get $5 Free
- Receive $10 Off $50 At Amazon Prime Pantry (First Order Promo)
- Get $15 Amazon Credit For Trying Amazon Photos
Happy shopping ninjas!