American Express cardholders can get 40% off their next Amazon order when they use just one Membership Rewards point! See how to take advantage of this Amazon deal below!
Ninja Update 10/26/21: Deal extended and more people targeted.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase through my links. Visit this page for more information. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Amazon 40%-50% Off Offer With Membership Rewards
Amazon is offering 40% off your next Amazon purchase when you use at least 1 American Express Membership Rewards point towards your order. The maximum discount you can get is $40.
This is a targeted offer so check if you’re eligible with the activation link in this post.
Ninja Note: You NEED to already have an American Express card included as a payment method + be ENROLLED to use Membership Rewards points with your Amazon account. If you didn’t do this yet, read my directions below carefully before you to activate the offer. Activating the offer prior to completing these steps will result in an error message.
Redeem Your Promotional Discount In 3 Easy Steps
- Activate Now
- Click on the “Activate now” button to activate this promotion and apply points to your next order. You MUST click on the button to receive the promotion credit.
- Shop Eligible Product
- Add one or more eligible products sold & shipped by Amazon.com to your shopping cart. Promotion can be redeemed on multiple purchases. Total discount available is $40.
- Use Membership Rewards Points At Checkout
- Membership Rewards points will be temporarily set as your payment method at checkout. To redeem this offer, you must use Membership Rewards points for at least a portion of your order.
How Do I Activate The Offer?
Ninja Note: Want to see more Amazon offers? Check out all other active Amazon deals here.
Step-by-Step Process To Check Eligibility
- Link your American Express card to your Amazon account if you haven’t done so
- Add your Membership Rewards account to Amazon if you haven’t done so
- Click the “Activate Now” link to see if you’re targeted for the offer
- Shop products that are shipped and sold by Amazon to your shopping cart
- Proceed to checkout and select your American Express card as your payment method
- Select the amount of American Express points you’d like to use for the purchase (use the minimum amount of 1 point)
- Receive a 40% discount that will be automatically applied at checkout – no promo code needed
Adding An American Express Card To Your Amazon Account
Direct Link to Add Credit Card [Amazon]
You can also go there manually to add a credit card by going to ‘Your Account‘, then ‘Payment options‘, and then entering your credit card information:
Linking Membership Rewards Points To Amazon
Direct Link to Linking [Amazon]
When you are going through this process, be sure to select “no” when Amazon asks you if you want to use your points as the default payment for future purchases.
I don’t recommend using your Membership Rewards points at Amazon since the redemption value is not great, but for this specific promotion you only need to use 1 Amex point to get the 40% discount.
What Other Details Do I Need To Know?
The most important one to remember is you need to buy items that are sold AND shipped by Amazon. How can you tell?
Chances are that the item is shipped by Amazon if it offers Prime Delivery, but it still could be sold by a third-party seller. To check that Amazon is selling and shipping it, check for the words “Ships from and sold by Amazon.com” near the price tag. Here’s an example where you can find it:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need Amazon Prime to do this deal?
No, this deal is possible with any Amazon account.
Why isn’t the deal working for me?
Make sure you’ve followed each step outlined above. If you’re linking your Membership Rewards account to Amazon for the first time then it can take a few days before you may become “eligible” for the promotion. Wait a few days and try the activate the offer again.
If you’ve done everything mentioned and are still not getting the deal to work, it means your account is not targeted right now.
Will it work if I did a similar deal in the past?
Yes, but sometimes you need to “clear” your account from the past deal. Try removing and re-adding your American Express card as a payment option to see if this will prompt “eligibility”.
If that still doesn’t work, try the link again in a couple of days to see if it works. These offers can open up over time so you can always check later if it does not work out this time around.
Can I buy gift cards with this offer?
Amazon gift cards are explicitly excluded. However, Amazon also sells many other third-party gift cards and those should all work! Third-party gift cards sold on Amazon include Netflix, Uber, Starbucks, and Google.
You can see the entire gift card list here.
Terms & Conditions
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 3/31/2021, or (b) the time at which 15,000 customers have redeemed the offer. The promotion button will expire concurrently.
- Maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $40 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled card per one account.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com or Amazon.com Services LLC (look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon.com Services LLC ” on the product detail page).
- Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
The Bottom Line
This Amazon offer using Amex Membership Rewards points is similar to previous deals. You can maximize the promotion by spending ~$100, since the discount is 40% with a $40 cap.
If you have nothing to buy right now, grab a gift card. I bought a $100 DoorDash for $60 to spend later when I need it – spending now to save later 🙂