Summer’s in full swing, but it’s almost that time again. Back to school! Amazon has launched a “Ready for School” promotion where you can get $20 off a $50 purchase with an American Express card. But don’t let the school part fool you. The $20 discount is also valid in other categories as well!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase through my links. Visit this page for more information. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Amazon “Ready for School” Promo
Amazon is offering $20 off $50 when you use your at least one American Express Membership Rewards point with your Amex credit card.
This is a limited time offer that expires on 8/30/2020 or when 100,000 customers redeem the offer, whichever comes first.
Unlike other Amazon offers that are targeted, this is available for everyone!
People tend to associate only products like backpacks, notebooks, and pens as “back to school” or “ready for school”.
Fortunately, Amazon is much more generous. For this $20 promotional discount, they’ll consider items under school supplies, backpacks & accessories, electronics, girls’ clothing, boys’ clothing, and cleaning & essentials categories:
This opens the door for buying things for your house or yourself if you don’t have school-aged kids.
Ninja Note: It appears some of the items in the categories don’t qualify for the discount. You can test and learn by hopping over to your checkout screen and seeing if the $20 promo gets applied.
How To Activate The Offer
Activate Offer [Amazon Link]
The link will bring you to the activation screen. The offer WON’T show up until you add an American Express card as a payment option and link your American Express Membership Rewards account to Amazon. If you haven’t done this, go to the next sections in this post where I’ll show you how.
Here’s the process for the discount to apply at checkout if you’re eligible:
- Link your American Express credit card to your Amazon account if you haven’t done so
- Add your American Express Membership Rewards account to Amazon if you haven’t done so
- Click the offer link above or click here to activate the offer
- Add $50 or more of eligible products shipped and sold by Amazon to your shopping cart
- Proceed to checkout and select your Amex card as your payment method
- Select the amount of Amex points you’d like to use for the purchase (use the minimum amount of 1 point)
- Receive a $20 discount off a $50+ order that will be automatically applied at checkout – no promo code needed
How do I add an American Express credit card as a payment option?
Direct Link to Add Credit Card [Amazon]
You can also go there manually to add a credit card by going to “Your Account”, then “Payment options”, and then entering your credit card information:
When you are going through this process, be sure to select no when Amazon asks you if you want to use your points as the default payment for future purchases.
I wouldn’t recommend using your American Express Membership Rewards points at Amazon since the redemption value is not great, but for this specific promotion you only need to use 1 Amex point to get the $20 discount.
What other details do I need to know?
The most important one to remember is that the items need to be sold AND shipped by Amazon. How can you tell?
Chances are that the item is shipped by Amazon if it offers Prime Delivery, but it still could be sold by a third-party seller. To check that Amazon is selling and shipping it, check for this statement near the price tag. Here’s an example where you can find it:
- Amazon: Use 1 Discover Point And Get $10 Off $60/$80/$100 Purchase
- Get 30% To 40% Off At Amazon When Using 1 AMEX Point
- Receive $10 Off $50 At Amazon Prime Pantry (First Order Promo)
Terms and Conditions
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 8/30/2020, or (b) the time at which 100,000 customers have redeemed the offer. The promotion button will expire concurrently.
- Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to select ‘Ready for School’ promotion products shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if they are “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $20 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled card per one account
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your original order. If any of the items in your original order are subsequently returned, your refund will equal the original price of the product, less the proportional amount of the discount. The total discount on the unreturned amount of your original order will then be less than the maximum discount availed.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
The Bottom Line
Getting $20 off $50 is essentially a 40% discount. That’s really good for Amazon.
As mentioned, this works for other categories that’s not really school-related.
In electronics, you can buy things like headphones, phones, and tablets. In household supplies, you can buy toilet paper and laundry detergent.