First National Bank is offering a $400 bonus for opening up a checking account with qualifying activities. With only two simple requirements, this is a bank sign up bonus offer you’d want to take part in.
For more current bank offers, see our bank bonuses page. The most popular offers are from Chase Bank, SoFi, and Axos Bank.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase through my links. Visit this page for more information. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
About First National Bank
First National Bank (FNB for short) is a diversified financial services company operating in seven states and Washington, D.C. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, FNB provides a full range of consumer banking, business banking, and wealth management solutions.
FNB was founded in 1864 and has total assets of over $42 billion dollars, making it the second largest bank based in Pennsylvania.
First National Bank Promotions
First National Bank has fantastic bank promotions which we’re sharing below. However, these bank bonuses and offers are only available to residents in the following areas:
Ninja Update: It looks like the bonus offers are not restricted to specific states? See the post comments below.
- Washington, D.C.
- Maryland (MD)
- North Carolina (NC)
- Ohio (OH)
- Pennsylvania (PA)
- South Carolina (SC)
- West Virginia (WV)
- Virginia (VA)
In additional to the residential requirements, you must not have or had a First National Bank checking account in the current calendar year and can’t be an FNB employee or a member of an FNB employee household.
Offer #1: First National Bank $400 Checking Bonus
Get up to a $400 bonus when you open a qualifying First National Bank checking account, add The Penguins® Power Play Package, and complete the bonus requirements.
- Earn $150 when you make direct deposits totaling $1,500 or more OR
- Earn $250 when you make direct deposits totaling $2,500 or more.
- Plus, get an additional $150 for making 10 online bill payments.
Step-by-Step Directions for $400 Checking Bonus
- Open a FNB checking account using this link (I recommend the Freestyle Checking Account, which is fee-free when you opt into online statements).
- After selecting a checking account product to open, click on the “Offers” tab and add The Penguins Power Play Package to your cart.
- Proceed to checkout and finish bank account application.
- Make direct deposits to reach the bonus tier you’re targeting within the first 90 days of account opening.
- Receive a bonus of $150 or $250 within 15 days after the 90-day period.
- Earn an additional $150 when you make 10 online bill payments using FNB’s Online Bill Paying Service.
Availability: DC, MD, NC, OH, PA, SC, WV, VA
Household Limit: One
Direct Deposit Required: Yes, $1,500+ (see what counts as a direct deposit)
Soft/Hard Pull: Soft
Early Account Termination Fee: $50 if closed within 180 days of account opening
The Penguins Power Play Package
The Penguins Power Play Package is the optional package to add to any FNB checking account. The package includes the $400 bonus promotion and other benefits and perks including:
- Receive Penguins-branded debit card and checks
- Get discounts on select game tickets, plus a 15% merchandise discount at any PensGear retail shop when you use your Penguins debit or credit card
- Enjoy exclusive benefits when paying for season tickets with your Penguins Power Play Package account
- Earn unlimited cash back rewards of 1.00% on all qualified purchases when you use your FNB Penguins-branded credit card
This package charges a $25 annual fee which is billed later. Feedback appears to indicate that the fee is charged a month or so after opening the account.
Offer Terms & Conditions
- Offer valid for new personal checking accounts opened through December 31, 2023.
- You can receive only one new checking account reward related offer per household per calendar year.
- Existing FNB checking accounts or accounts converting to another personal checking account are not eligible for this offer.
- Offer does not apply to multiple checking accounts.
- Offer subject to change without prior notice and may be terminated or extended based on response.
Offer #2: First National Bank $600 Checking Bonus
Ninja Update: This offer has expired as of May 29, 2021. The best FNB bonus now is the $400 one mentioned above.
Get up to a $600 bonus when you open a First National Bank checking account, make direct deposits totaling $2,500 or more, and initiate 15 or more debit card transactions.
- Earn $400 for making direct deposits totaling $2,500 or more within the first 90 days after account opening AND
- Earn $200 for initiating 15 or more debit transactions within the first 90 days after account opening
There are 4 different eligible checking accounts that you can open:
- Freestyle Checking (recommended)
- Lifestyle Checking
- Mystyle Checking
- Premierstyle Checking.
The easiest way to keep avoid fees is to open the Freestyle Checking account. It’s their basic checking account with no fees as long as you turn on eStatements.
The Bottom Line
Good offer considering the Penguins Power Play Package is only $25 and that gets you a pretty big checking bonus. I’m not a big hockey person, but some readers may find the perks useful.
This is definitely a bonus I’d jump on if I live in one of the targeted states. We’ll include this in the list of the best bank bonuses.
7 thoughts on “First National Bank Promotions: $400 Checking Bonus”
When I look at their website, it does show state restrictions. Virginia is just one of the states listed, which is why it worked for Gadget.
“Offer available in the following states: PA, NC, SC, VA, DC, MD, OH, WV”
Alas, I don’t live in one of those, so I guess I’m out of luck.
Also, your link in the post wasn’t working for me so I had to Google it.
Thanks for the info and heads up on the old link. I’ve replaced it to link to the latest promotion.
What are all comes with “Penguins Power Play Package”.
Did they provide credit card with the package while opening checking account?
Hi Daniel – apologies for the late response. The Power Play package does come with a credit card (FNB Penguins-branded credit card).
I signed up online here in NC and my account was closed and my initial deposit from my debit card was dropped after showing pending for several days. Went to my local branch and they said they could not find my account and mentioned that the Penguin package was not a promotion available in NC.
VA resident. No state restrictions were mentioned on this promo offer PDF which is provided when opening online as part of your disclosures.
Applied for Penguins Package Checking online. Acct approved 4/15.
Does pull Chex. Inquirer: F.N.B. CORPORATION; 4140 EAST STATE STREET, HERMITAGE, PA 16148
Funded $100 to new account with Citi DoubleCash, posted as purchase “Apr 15, 2022 FIRST NATIONAL BANK 800-555-5455 PA”
Transferred money from Capital One 360 bank account, posted as CAPITAL ONE N.A. CAPITALONE $2501 ACH Deposit (no where does it show as direct deposit)
5/27/2002 to 6/6/2022
Made 10 Bill Pays to a few different credit cards
Posted transaction activity “PENGUINS PACKAGE ANNUAL FEE” -$25
Posted transaction activity “Promotional Reward PEN4000121” $400
Per terms, the bonus should have been posted 7/28/22, so it was nearly two full weeks late. I did not contact the bank and just waited. I will close the acct at the 6-month mark to avoid the potential ETF, even though they probably wouldn’t assess it if closing with a zero balance.
01/08/22: Opened account
02/18/22: Real direct deposit of $2492
03/04/22: Real direct deposit of $20
01/25/22 – 02/08/22: 10 x $1 Bill Pays to electric bill
04/13/22: $400 bonus posted as “Promotional Reward PEN4000121”