Here’s everything you need to know about Public.com promotions; how to qualify, best bonuses currently available, when the offers expire, and more!
Public.com (formerly Matador) is an investing platform that allows people to invest in stocks, ETFs, crypto, NFTs, art, and collectibles all in one place. With no account minimums and no trading commissions for stocks, funds, or crypto; it’s an excellent choice for both avid and professional traders.
Public’s platform is unique because it offers a number of features for people to be better investors, like the ability to follow your favorite traders, watch live streams about the markets, and look at real-time analysis.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase through my links. Visit this page for more information. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
Current Public.com Promotions
Public currently offers two separate promotions; a sign-up bonus for new users and an account transfer bonus for new and existing users. Complete details of each offer below.
Offer 1: Public Sign-up Bonus – Free Stock (up to $300)
Create a Public account using the referral code THEMONEYNINJA and get a free stock worth up to $300. Choose a free slice of stock from companies like Apple, Amazon, Disney, SPDR S&P 500 ETF, Tesla, and Zoom.
How To Get Free Stock from Public:
- Open a Public account using this link.
- Enter the Public referral code THEMONEYNINJA during registration.
- Choose the stock you’d like to receive.
- Make your first deposit of any amount into your account.
- Receive a free slice of stock worth between $3 and $300.
Offer 2: Public Account Transfer Bonus (up to $10,000)
Transfer your portfolio to Public by 12/31/22 and get up to a $10,000 cash bonus. Bonus is determined by the amount transferred.
Public charges no fees for incoming transfers and will cover fees your current brokerage charges if your incoming transfer is over $500 (up to $100 per transfer). This offer is available to both new and existing users.
|$25,000 – $99,999||$250|
|$100,000 – $249,999||$1,000|
|$250,000 – $499,999||$2,500|
|$500,000 – $999,999||$5,000|
How To Receive Transfer Bonus:
- Create a Public account is you haven’t done so with the promo code THEMONEYNINJA.
- Add the transfer bonus offer to your account using this link.
- Click on ‘Get Started‘ on the promotion’s landing page.
- Sign in to your Public account using the Public mobile app.
- Select your Profile Icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down the menu to find and select ‘Account Settings‘.
- Tap on ‘Transfer stocks to Public‘ to begin the transfer from any broker including Fidelity, Robinhood, and Webull.
- Receive a bonus based on your transfer amount no later than one month after transfer initiation date.
This process is called an ACAT and is the industry standard for securely transferring stocks – think of it as a wire transfer for stocks). All eligible ACATS received by Public during the promotion period will be aggregated for purposes of determining bonus entitlement.
For example, if you first transfer $25k and then separately transfer $225k, you’ll receive a total bonus of $2.5k ($250 bonus on the $25k transfer and $2,250 bonus on the $225k transfer for a total aggregate bonus of $2.5k).
Transfer Bonus Terms & Conditions
- ACAT transfers made by new and existing members are eligible for this promotion.
- The cash bonus will be applied to qualifying accounts no later than one (1) month after the transfer initiation date.
- Assets transferred and any associated bonus must stay in your Public account for at least 6 months, or the bonus will be revoked.
- Public supports US-listed stocks and ETFs.
- Public does not support the following assets: options, OTC-traded securities, mutual funds, and bonds (if you choose to transfer any unsupported assets to Public, then your positions may either be liquidated upon receipt and reflected in your account as cash or those positions will be limited to sell-only).
- Public is not able to accept other assets via ACAT transfer (because they are not supported by the central clearinghouse). Those include: fractional shares, crypto assets, and alternative investments (if you choose to fully transfer an account with any of those assets, those positions may be liquidated by the delivering brokerage firm and transferred to Public as cash). Please consult with your delivering brokerage for their policies.
- Bonuses awarded in excess of $600 (cumulative, per calendar year) will generate a 1099-MISC tax form.
The Bottom Line
The Public transfer promotion created a ton of interest and I think the company decided it was too good. Here were the original bonus tiers before it was updated on 10/31/22:
|$5,000 – $24,999||$150|
|$25,000 – $99,999||$500|
|$100,000 – $499,999||$2,000|
|$500,000 – $999,999||$5,000|
So while the current transfer promo isn’t quite as great, it’s still worth doing.
I’ve been using Public for a few years now and find it super easy to use. The app is laid out nicely with only three major menu sections:
- Portfolio: view your investment portfolio and execute buy and sell trades
- Community: look at what’s trending and follow your favorite investor, creator, or influencer
- Explore: see the top movers for stocks, crypto, and alternative assets; listen to earnings call; and watch live streams
An interesting feature I’ve learned about recently is a section called “Learn & Earn” under the Explore section. Public will award you free stocks just for learning about investing.
For instance, right now I can earn $1 of stock for reading about how alts work in Public (it took me less than a minute to read):
And as many of you know, I can never say no to any promotions 🙂