If you have an American Express card with Membership Rewards points, Amazon will give you 10% off your purchase by using just 1 single Amex point! Check to see if you’re eligible below!
Amazon: Save 10% With Amex Points Offer
While most people will receive the 10% off version, there are a number of people that are seeing discounts of up to 40% off!
How do I check if I’m targeted?
Activate Now [Amazon]
Ninja Note: Want to see more Amazon offers? Check out all other active Amazon deals here.
The link above will bring you to the activation screen. The offer WON’T show up until you add an American Express card as a payment option and link your AMEX rewards account to Amazon. If you haven’t done this, go to the next sections in this post where I’ll show you how.
If you are linking your AMEX Membership Rewards account to Amazon for the first time, it will take a few days before the offer shows up in your Amazon account. Try the link again later to see if your account status changes.
You can also take advantage of this promotion even if you’ve already done so in the past. That’s also explained in a later section so scroll down if this applies to you.
How do I add an American Express credit card as a payment option?
Direct Link to Add Credit Card [Amazon]
You can also go there manually to add a credit card by going to “Your Account”, then “Payment options”, and then entering your credit card information:
How do I link my AMEX Membership Rewards account to Amazon?
Direct Link to Linking [Amazon]
When you are going through this process, be sure to select no when Amazon asks you if you want to use your points as the default payment for future purchases.
I would never recommend using AMEX MR points at Amazon since the redemption value is poor, but here you only have to use 1 AMEX point to get the 10% (or 40%) discount.
Can I do this again if I’ve already participated in an Amazon/Amex promotion?
Yes, but there’s a trick to it. If you already checked the link and it says you’re not eligible for offer, here’s how you can get around it:
- Delete all American Express cards as a payment option on Amazon
- Add at least one American Express card back on
- Re-enroll the ability to use Amex points
- Try activating the offer again
- If that doesn’t work, try again for a few days
It took me 2 days to get the offer to show up again, but once it took as long as a week.
What other details do I need to know?
The most important one to remember is that the items need to be sold and shipped by Amazon. How can you tell?
Chances are that the item is shipped by Amazon if it offers Prime Delivery, but it still could be sold by a third-party seller. To check that Amazon is selling and shipping it, check for this statement near the price tag. Here’s an example where you can find it:
Terms & Conditions
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 12/31/2020, or (b) the time at which 100,000 customers have redeemed the offer. The promotion button will expire concurrently.
- Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if they are “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $10 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled card per one account
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your original order. If any of the items in your original order are subsequently returned, your refund will equal the original price of the product, less the proportional amount of the discount. The total discount on the unreturned amount of your original order will then be less than the maximum discount availed.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
The Bottom Line
Smaller discount than the last few Amazon promotions involving American Express, but keep in mind some people are seeing better deals:
- Save 10% off with a maximum discount of $10
- Save 30% off with a maximum discount of $30
- Save 40% off with a maximum discount of $50
No rhyme or reason as far as I can tell – you just need to get lucky.