This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase through my links. Visit this page for more information.
American Express is offering a 100,000 point sign up bonus on the personal Amex Platinum card! You’ll also earn 10X points on purchases at gas stations and supermarkets during your first 6 months of being a cardholder! Read more on this crazy deal from Amex!
Ninja Edit 1/12/21: Some readers are seeing 110K offer using a referral link through incognito mode.
American Express Platinum Card 100K Sign Up Offer
American Express is offering a great sign up bonus on the Amex Platinum card where you’ll get:
- 100K Membership Rewards points when you apply for the card and spend $5,000 on your card in your first 6 months of card membership
- 10x Membership Rewards points on purchases at gas stations and supermarkets during your first 6 months of card membership (that’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases)
How To Apply For The Amex Platinum 100K Bonus
I know some bubbles will burst when I say this, but not everyone is able to pull up this offer – at least not on the first try. Some people are showing a 75K + 10X version.
Here are the options you can try in order to get the 100K + 10X variation to show up:
Option 1: Using A Referral Link
After you click the referral link above, switch over from the business card view to the personal cards view by tapping the bar text that reads, ‘View all Cards with a Referral Offer‘:
On the next screen, scroll down until you see the American Express Platinum card and check to see if the higher offer shows up.
Option 2: Using Incognito Mode
Incognito. Private browsing. Privacy mode.
They all mean the same. At their most basic, it’s a web browsing feature that creates a temporary session that removes your personal user data and won’t record visited sites to the browsing history.
Using this mode means American Express doesn’t know who may be looking at their site and therefore may present you with the best sign up offer.
How To Enter Incognito In Google Chrome
The easiest way to start an incognito browsing session is with the keyboard shortcut combination. For Windows, press Ctrl-Shift-N. For macOS, press Command-Shift-N.
The other way is to click the three vertical dots on the top right-hand corner of Google Chrome and select ‘New incognito tab‘ or ‘New incognito window‘.
How To Enter Incognito With Apple Safari
To open what Safari calls a Private Window on a Mac, press Command-Shift-N (this is the same Mac shortcut for Chrome). Alternatively, you can also go to the ‘File‘ menu and click on ‘New Private Window‘.
For mobile Apple users, tap on the two overlapping squares on the bottom right-hand corner. The word ‘Private’ will show up on the bottom left-hand corner. Tap this and you’ll enter incognito mode.
Option 3: Using CardMatch
You can also try using CardMatch to check for pre-approved offers. CardMatch doesn’t impact your credit score at all since it’s a soft credit check.
CardMatch takes 60 seconds to find out if you can get the American Express Platinum 100K offer. All it does is run your financial profile across the major card carriers (American Express, Chase, Discover, etc.) to see if you qualify for any special sign up offers.
Option 4: Timing The Deal
The last option is to wait for the top of the hour and try the options I mentioned above.
This might increase your chances of receiving the higher sign up bonus since American Express may release a certain number of available offers each hour.
American Express Platinum Card Overview
I’ll probably create a future post on all the benefits of the American Express Platinum card, but for the purposes of this deal, here are the important highlights:
- Annual Fee = $550 (not waived the first year)
- Authorized Gold cards are free
- Authorized Platinum cards are $175 for first three users (then $175 per Platinum)
- Membership Rewards Points Earnings:
- 10X points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations and supermarkets for the first 6 months
- 5X points per $1 spent on purchases made with airlines or with American Express Travel
- 5X points per $1 spent on hotel bookings made directly from the American Express Travel
- 1X points on all other purchases
- $200 airline incidental credit per calendar year
- $200 Uber credit ($15 per month and additional $20 in December)
- $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit ($50 semi-annually)
- Lounge Access:
- Centurion lounge access
- International American Express lounge access
- Delta SkyClub lounge access
- Priority Pass Select membership
- Airspace lounge access
- Marriott Gold status
- Hilton Gold status
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓
- No foreign transaction fees
Note, that American Express bonuses are once per lifetime per card type, although I’ve found that their definition of lifetime is 7 years since you’ve closed the exact same card.
The Bottom Line
If I didn’t already have this card, I’d be jumping all over this. A 100,000 sign up bonus + 10X points for gas/grocery offer for the Amex Platinum card is a smoking deal.
The 100,000 points you get for signing up is worth a minimum of $1,250. I’d argue the value is closer to $1,500 but it depends on what you the redeem the points for.
Those sign up points aside, you’ll also get $200 annually in airline credits and $200 annually in Uber/Uber Eats credit. Then include the additional benefits American Express added to this card earlier this year (e.g. $20 monthly wireless credit and $20 monthly streaming credit) and it really becomes a no-brainer.
I think earning an additional 10X points on grocery and gas is huge and I’m super envious of readers who can get this. But even if you won’t use it much, it’s still an excellent deal.