If you had a Yahoo account anytime between 2012 to 2016, a pending class action settlement will pay you $100 to $358 if you file a claim. Here’s what you need to know and how to file a claim.
What are the details of the settlement?
A Class Action Settlement has been proposed in litigation against Yahoo! and Aabaco relating to data breaches (malicious actors got into system and personal data was taken) occurring in 2013 through 2016, as well as to data security intrusions (malicious actors got into system but no data appears to have been taken) occurring in early 2012.
Yahoo has agreed to make changes to improve security of its customers’ Personal Information stored on its databases. Additionally, Yahoo! will also pay $117,500,000 into a Settlement Fund.
You are considered eligible if you had a Yahoo account anytime between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2016.
Most of us belong to the Account Holder Claim Form when filing the claim form:
How much will they pay me?
Yahoo will offer your choice of:
- Receive a minimum of two years of a credit monitoring service OR
- If you have a credit monitoring service already, Yahoo will give you a cash payment between $100 to $358 (depending on the number of claimants)
Ninja Hint: You can’t choose the cash payment unless you have a credit monitoring service already. If you don’t have one, join Credit Karma (it’s free) and you can list that when it asks you what service you belong to.
Also, if you’ve spent time and/or money relating to this privacy breach, Yahoo will also pay:
For time spent: $25 per hour
For money spent: All related out-of-pocket costs
Note: For the time spent portion, you can only claim up to 5 hours if you don’t have documents to support your claim. If you do have documentation, you can claim up to 15 hours.
Here are the milestone dates for you to be aware of:
- March 6, 2020 – final date to exclude yourself from the settlement
- April 2, 2020 – court hearing is scheduled for this date
- July 20, 2020 – you must file a claim before this date
- Equifax Class Action Settlement: $125-$375 Per Person
- Google Pixel Class Action Settlement: $100 Per Person
- Auto Parts Class Action Settlement: $100+ Per Person
The Bottom Line
The form takes less than 5 minutes to fill out. Once you do, you’ll receive a confirmation at the end and will get paid once the settlement is official:
I think everyone had a Yahoo account at one point or another. My Yahoo email address was created long before this, but I qualify since it’s still active.
Another easy money-making opportunity if you qualify!