Citizens Bank is offering a $400 bonus for opening up a checking account! This is one of the easier bank bonuses you can take advantage of from a major bank. See below for details!
Ninja Update 2/13/21: Deal is back through May 13, 2021.
Citizens Bank $400 Checking Bonus Overview
Citizens Bank is offering a bonus of up to $400 when you open a new checking account with them.
There’s also a different Citizens Bank promotion where you can get up to $600 by opening both a checking account AND a savings account. That deal requires you to have $15,000 available to transfer though, so this $400 one is easier for most.
Where Do I Enroll?
You can apply online directly through the link above.
Who Qualifies For The Bonus?
You must live in one of the following states:
- Connecticut (CT)
- Delaware (DE)
- Massachusetts (MA)
- Michigan (MI)
- New Hampshire (NH)
- New Jersey (NJ)
- New York (NY)
- Ohio (OH)
- Pennsylvania (PA)
- Rhode Island (RI)
- Vermont (VT)
Along with residing in one of those states, you can’t be a current customer or had a Citizens Bank personal checking or savings account in the last 6 months.
- $600 Chase Checking & Savings Account Bonus
- $400 Wells Fargo Checking Account Bonus
- $400 Santander Checking Account Bonus
What Are The Details?
Availability: CT, DE, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT
Household Limit: None (everyone in your family can get the bonus!)
Direct Deposit Required: Yes, $500 or more (see what counts as a direct deposit)
Early Account Termination Fee: None
$400 Bonus Breakdown
The $400 bonus is broken up as follows:
- $300 Bonus: Receive a bonus of $300 when you open a Citizens Bank checking account and make a direct deposit of $500 or more within 60 days of account opening
- $100 Bonus: Earn $2 for every debit card purchase you make, up to $100 within the first 60 days of account opening
The bonus will be posted within 30 days of meeting the requirements. On your bank statement, the bonus shows up as a credit memo coded as ‘Balbldr Bonus‘:
The checking accounts have a monthly fee between $0 and $25 that can be waived if you meet the requirements:
Citizens Bank Student Checking:
- No monthly fee as long as you’re under 25 years old
Citizens Bank One Deposit Checking:
- $9.99 monthly fee waived if you make one deposit of ANY amount each during monthly statement period
Citizens Bank Platinum Checking:
- $25 monthly fee waived if you have combined monthly balances (in all deposit and investment accounts) of $25,000 or more
Citizens Bank Platinum Plus Checking:
- $25 monthly fee waived if you have combined monthly balances (in all deposit and investment accounts) of $25,000 or more AND
- Make a deposit of at least $5,000 in your primary checking account each statement period OR maintain an average daily checking balance of $10,000 or more
Terms & Conditions
- To earn a $300 bonus: Open your first new personal checking account and have at least one single direct deposit of $500 or more post to your new checking account within 60 days of account opening.
- To earn up to $100: Get paid $2 per qualified debit transaction (up to $100) that post and clear your new checking account within 60 days of account opening.
- Primary signer on the new checking account may not be or have been a signer on any Citizens Bank personal checking account within the previous six months.
- The new account must be open and in good standing on the payout date stated in the table below to qualify for this offer.
- Direct Deposit is recurring income electronically deposited into your Citizens Bank checking account and may include salary, pension, and other regular income.
- Qualified debit card transactions include signature and PIN-based debit transactions in person directly at a merchant location or in app or online merchant sites.
- Only one debit card per checking account eligible for bonus.
- Online Bill Payments, Zelle transactions and ATM transactions do not qualify.
- Customer must open their first new checking account via Citizens Bank’s online account opening system accessed by clicking on one of the links on this page.
- Customer should print this screen for their records.
- Customer will only be paid a one-time bonus for this program.
- Offers may be withdrawn without notice and cannot be combined with any other checking offer.
- Payout: Bonus will be deposited to the new checking account by the date stated in the table below and will be labeled as “Balance Builder Bonus”.
- Bonus will be reported to the IRS for income tax purposes.
The Bottom Line
This is Citizen Bank’s highest bonus offer for opening a single checking account.
If you’re opening it for the bank bonus only, the easiest checking account to open would be the Student Checking provided that you’re under 25. Otherwise, the One Deposit Checking would be best.
I’ve done this for 4 years now, and between 4 family members, this is an easy $2,400 in free money every year!