U.S. Bank is offering up to a $400 bonus when you open a checking account online and complete qualifying activities. This matches the biggest bonus U.S. Bank has offered for their personal checking accounts!
Update 7/12/23: This offer has expired, but there’s a new and best ever offer of $1,000! See the details here.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission at no cost to you if you decide to make a purchase through my links. Visit this page for more information. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired.
U.S. Bank $400 Checking Overview
U.S. Bank is promoting the highest checking account sign-up bonus they have ever offered! You’ll get up to a $400 bonus for opening a checking account and completing the following requirements:
- Open both the U.S. Bank Smartly® Checking and U.S. Standard Savings accounts using this link.
- Enroll in online banking or the U.S. Bank mobile app.
- Checking Account: Complete two or more direct deposits of $5,000 or more within 90 days of account opening and complete 10 or more debit card purchases totaling at least $100 to earn a $300 bonus.
- Savings Account: Earn an additional $100 bonus when you make deposit(s) of $15,000 or more by 7/13/23 and maintain the total account balance of $15,000 until October 13, 2023.
Where Do I Enroll?
Enroll by clicking the link below, which will transfer you directly to U.S. Bank’s landing page for the $400 offer:
Who Qualifies For The Bonus?
You qualify for the offer if you live within U.S. Bank’s geographic footprint. They have over 3,000 branches and 5,000+ ATMs, so the chances are good if you live in the United States.
Along with the location requirement, you can’t be:
- A current U.S. Bank personal checking account customer OR
- Had a U.S. Bank personal checking account in the last 6 months OR
- Received any bonus offers from U.S. Bank in the last 12 months
- List Of Best Bank Account Bonuses
- What Counts As A Direct Deposit When It Comes To Bank Sign Up Bonuses
What Are The Details?
Availability: AZ, AR, CA, CO, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, SD, TN, UT, WA, WI, WY (or nationwide for those who already have a relationship with U.S. Bank)
Household Limit: 1 bonus per household
Direct Deposit Required: $5,000 or more (see what counts as a direct deposit)
Soft/Hard Pull: Soft
Early Account Termination Fee: None
You’ll receive the $400 bonus when you complete the following 3 requirements:
Requirement #1) Enter Promo Code
- Use promo code 2023MAY during the sign up process
Requirement #2) Direct Deposit + Debit Card Purchases
- Complete two or more direct deposits that totals $5,000+ within 90 days of account opening
- Complete a minimum of 10 debit card purchases totaling $100 or more.
Requirement #3) E-Statements:
- You must be enrolled in online banking or the U.S. Bank Mobile App within 60 days of opening your account
Checking Accounts (3 Options)
There are three different checking accounts that you can open for this bonus: Easy checking account, Gold checking account, and Platinum Checking account.
The Easy account has a monthly fee of $6.95, Gold account has a monthly fee of $14.95, and the Platinum account has a monthly fee of $24.95. All account monthly fees can be waived if you do ONE of the following:
U.S. Bank Easy Checking Account:
- Combined monthly direct deposits totaling $1,000 or more OR
- Average account balance of $1,500 OR
- Account holder(s) age 65 or greater
U.S. Bank Gold Checking Account:
- Have a U.S. Bank credit card (like the Altitude, Cash+, or Flexperks) OR
- Have it waived by joining the Because You’ve Earned It program (requires good credit score)
U.S. Bank Platinum Checking Account:
- Have personal trust relationship with U.S. Bank Wealth Management OR
- Deposits of $25,000 or more in combined personal deposits, credit balances with U.S. Bank and/or investments through U.S. Bancorp Investments
H/T to Amy in the comments below who shared that the monthly fees are waived for active duty and veterans.
Terms & Conditions
$400 Checking Bonus
- A minimum deposit of $25 is required to open a U.S. Bank checking account.
- To earn your $400 bonus, open a new U.S. Bank consumer checking account (excluding Student Checking and Safe Debit Account) and Standard Savings account before the promotion expiration date.
- Additionally, you must complete recurring direct deposits of two or more within 60 days of account opening that total $5,000 or more.
- You must be enroll in online banking or the U.S. Bank Mobile App within 60 days of account opening.
- The checking account bonus will be deposited into your new checking account within 60 days of completing the offer requirements.
- The account must be open and have a positive balance.
- Bonus will be reported as interest earned on IRS Form 1099-INT and recipient is responsible for any applicable taxes.
- Offer may not be combined with any other checking account bonus offers.
- Offer is not valid if you or any signer on the account have an existing U.S. Bank consumer checking account, had a U.S. Bank consumer checking account in the last six months, or received other U.S. Bank checking bonus offers within the past 12 months.
The Bottom Line
Great deal. This $400 checking bonus matches the highest sign-up bonus that U.S. Bank has offered on any of their checking accounts. I’ve added this to my list of best bank account opening bonuses.